Thursday, August 5, 2010

Fahrvergnuegen

I love me a hearty "Pellekuchen" - a slang term meaning Potato Cake aka a potato omelet. This is comfort food for me. Everyone I have ever made this for has come back for seconds. And a few have walked away with my recipe. It is truly a simple but delightful dish and can be enjoyed anytime of the day.
My grandmother used to make this for me and often leftovers were added into the egg mixture; sausage, cheese, lox etc.
I am not saying all of it at one time, but you can add one or ten items - if you like it....go ahead and make it!
My friend Cheryl left me a message on Facebook reminding me how much she likes this dish and now shares it with her kids. She has lovingly renamed it Fahrvergnuegen.
Cheryl and I share a love of food. Many of times have we sat at the kitchen table and humming softly while we are eating. If you have never hummed or wiggled while eating, you have not found food that completely delights you! Psstt....we do it out in public too. Which has always embarrassed my daughter! Score! Bonus Points!

I like starting my Pellekuchen from raw potatoes, but many start this with boiled potatoes. I also like my potatoes with skin on. Of course this again is a personal choice. Go ahead and peel yours if your prefer naked spuds.
Cooking time is cut if you already have leftover boiled potatoes. Experiment and see what you like to use best!
Since the star of this meal is the potato - selecting the right variety is important. I prefer the golden Yukon but I like red potatoes as well. The only ones you want to stay away from are Russets. They will make your dish too dry. Save your russets for a baked potato or French Fries.

Ingredients:

Golden Yukon Potatoes (2 per person)
Eggs (2 per person)
small onion
Vegetable Oil
(Bacon or Sausage Grease)
Splash of Milk
Salt
Pepper
FRESH Chives and/or Parsley
Pat of butter

I love love love to make this dish in a cast iron skillet. Heat it up on Med High. Add your vegetable oil so your pan is covered. I add two table spoons of bacon and/or sausage drippings, which I usually collect.
Slice your potatoes in even strips. You can dice them if you like. You simply want to ensure even cooking.

Add potatoes to HOT pan. Let them sit for ten minutes and turn potatoes over. Fine dice your onion.

After another five minutes of cooking add the onions on top of your potatoes.
While this is cooking make your liquid for your omelet.

Crack your eggs into a bowl, add a splash of milk, some pepper and salt and whip it up until bubbles have formed on top. I add fresh herbs at this point. Chives and Parsley are always fabulous with potatoes.


Turn potatoes - you want to get them brown on all sides. Once the potatoes are done, turn down heat, add a pat or two of butter.... and slowly add your egg mixture on top of your potatoes.

This now has to sit so the eggs can harden and bind. I will loosen the sides with a spatula and slowly shake my pan back and forth to get the eggs to cook.
Once you see it set, take a bowl or a lid and slide the omelet onto it and flip it over in the pan.
Make sure your eggs are cooked through. Cut into portions and serve while warm.

I add chives and parsley (yes..yes FRESH!) on top.
This entire dish will take about 30 minutes or less depending on how many potatoes you are making, and if you have chosen to make it with raw potatoes or already cooked potatoes.
One of my favorite versions is adding crispy bacon and some shredded cheese to the egg mixture...ohhh gosh..absolutely YUMMY.
....ohhh and one more thing...SHOULD you have leftovers, they will store just fine and eating them cold is great, or reheat.

GUTEN APPETIT!!!

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are making me hungry! And taking me back to the days you made this while I watched. I remember always 'dancing' in my chair when we ate. Lol. Poor Marina. :) And I still do the dance in my chair when I eat something yummy! Embarrasses my kids too! Bonus! :)
    Love ya,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete